One man's comments on everything


Saturday, September 18, 2010

Life after the world cup

A lot has been written about the pros and cons of the world cup. Was it a good thing or a bad thing ?
And as I always content everyone has the right to his own opinion even though it might be wrong. Anyway here is some of my perspective:

We flew down to Cape Town, stayed a week and flew back to civilization - The republic of Centurion.

For one I was impressed with the obvious friendliness of the service staff all over the place - even the police walking around smiled !  The booking staff of Kulula really shined ! ( Maybe it was because it was Kulula ?)
The airport was as clean as you ever can imagine.  The flight was incredible (Sorry about this but maybe it - was again the airline)      We landed in Cape Town and by the time I got to the bagage retrieval our baggage was actually out - We were at the car hire within 10 minutes of landing.  Now this has never happened before.    Cape Town airport really sucked before the very obvious revamp.

Then the experience with the Car hire company. I was in our brand new car within 10 minutes after that.
A brand new Ford Figo - it had exactly 20 kilometers on the clock. (would have prefered a VW, but what the heck I really enjoyed this little car which I drove for just over 1200 kms during the week)

Then we booked in at the Strand Pavilion - and again - I have never had such a friendly reception anywhere at a timeshare resort.  (and of course they could actually speak my home language - Afrikaans!)  The service at this resort for the week was out of this world (I nearly said Out of Africa)

Why am I renting and raving about all this ?  Well let me tell you if it took the world cup to make life so enjoyable they can have another one next year and I will not complain about tax payers money ever again !
One thing I am very sure about - all these improvements is not just accidental or by chance - South Africa actually stood up and said : We will be counted and the frase: Out of this world might just be changed to out of South Africa.

No comments: